Error messages

Nick Thompson nick at TTP.CO.UK
Mon Dec 15 22:36:55 GMT 2003

When I start MailScanner :

chkconfig sendmail off
chkconfig --level 2345 MailScanner on
/etc/rc.d/init.d/MailScanner start

I get a number of error messages

<server name> sendmail[27295]: gethostbyaddr<ip address> failed: 1
repeated for all the IP addresses on the raq.

sendmail[25862]: daemon MTA: problem creating SMTP socket

sendmail[25862]: NOQUEUE SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:daemon MTA: server
SMTP socket wedged: exiting

sendmail[25862]: NOQUEUE SYSERR(root): opendaemonsocket:daemon MTA: cannot
bind: Address already in use

After these messages are repeated a number of times, mail seems to be
passed through, but the 'X-MailScanner: ' is not inserted into the e-mail
header.

If I try to send an e-mail through the SMTP server I get the following:

<server name> sendmail[28494]: NOQUEUE: localhost {127.0.0.1] did not
issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ESMTP, during connection to MTA

Then the e-mail is sent.

Has anyone any idea when these messages mean ? or why the header
information is not inserted

I am attempting to run f-prot, but despite saying it's started, it still
lets virus infected mail through.

Regards