Few general questions about Mailscanner

Jason Williams jwilliams at COURTESYMORTGAGE.COM
Mon Dec 15 21:49:01 GMT 2003

Hello everyone. Im new to the list as well as Mailscanner.

A friend of mine told me that I might be interested in using mailscanner
for our company email. After reading a few of the docs on the site, I have
to say, I am very interested about the possiblity of using mailscanner for
our mail gateway.

I do have just a few questions that I was hoping to ask here and get some
feedback.

If I do use mailscanner, it will be running on FreeBSD 4.9. I see it is
already built into the ports tree and has the latest version. (Ports make
life so easy. :) )

Anyway, the server it would be running on has the following specs:

PIII 1ghz
2gig RAM
2 18gig SCSI drives

We have about 40 users at the moment, and that will most likely grow to
60-80 in a year or so.

With that in mind, what type of specs are required by Mailscanner? Is it
CPU or resource intensive? I would imagine, putting on a virus scanner of
some sort would require a higher amount of resource usage. I'd also like to
check out spamassassin as well.

Just wanted to get some ideas of the performance I could expect on a system
like this. (I would guess that we receive around 1,000-3,000 emails a day)

Also, anyone care to share a partion scheme? I always like talking about
partitions.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Jason