Postfix message duplication - again!

Drew Marshall drew at THEMARSHALLS.CO.UK
Sun Dec 14 20:33:34 GMT 2003

I have read many threads on both the MailScanner mailing list and the
Postfix groups about this problem but haven't yet seen a solution. I
guess the first question is, is there a solution?

I love MS and have done since I first deployed it on my first trip to
Linux (On Sendmail) and latterly, having got fed up with the patching
required, on Postfix (When the MS for Postfix first was released). I
have only recently been having these duplication problems and started
looking for answers to find the author of Postfix says not to use
MailScanner as it 'Gropes mail files from the active queue'. While
understandable from his point of view, not helpful to me, an
inexperienced *nix admin just looking to implement easy, fast and safe
computing for my users (Hence my love for Postfix and MailScanner, both
excellent, fast and simple to administer).

I have played with Exim but disliked it's config setup and seemed very
complex to set up to use my MySQL alias database, domain list etc.

I also played with AMAVIS- new (For two hours and gave up when I found
the full extent of the feature set!) which is 'approved for Postfix use'.

If there is not current cure for the POstfix problem, is there any way
to pipe the mail to MailScanner or even bolt a SMTP engine to it to
receive the mail like AMAVIS (Which would then extend MS for use with
all MTAs?!)?

Sorry for the long post but I am quite passionate about this one ;-)

Regards