FW: barracudanetworks devices

Stephen Swaney steve.swaney at FSL.COM
Fri Dec 12 16:40:10 GMT 2003

I would not normally post commercial product information to a support list
but Julian asked me to respond to your query.

> What does MailScanner Enterprise Edition do that Basic can not do?

The actual answer is - Nothing. There is and always will be one code tree
for MailScanner. Any improvements contributions to core MailScanner code
will remain open source.

What we are adding is:

        A web interface for configuration and user preferences
        A web interface for setting user preferences
        A MySQL database for storing configuration changes and MailWatch
data
        An LDAP backend for MailScanner and SpamAssassin configuration data
        Packaging and configuring:
                MailScanner
                SpamAssassin
                MailWatch
                LDAP
                Pyzor
                Razor
                DCC
                ClamAV

And all the supporting packages they require along with new, expanded
documentation. There will also be a very simple installation procedure and
an automated update service will be available by subscription. We plan to
ship the first produce sometime in January.

What we are doing is simply attempting to make MailScanner easier to use and
more "acceptable" to the non Linux shops and providing the commercial
support that many firms require before implementing open source software. I
think that many will be glad to hear that a substantial portion of our
business is coming from previously all Microsoft shops.

Obviously we welcome inquires but please send these to me and not clutter up
this excellent support list.

Steve

Stephen Swaney
President