Bayesian horrors

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at LSHTM.AC.UK
Wed Dec 10 13:23:59 GMT 2003

Hello all...

MailScanner, SpamAssassin (2.60) and Postfix 2...

I upgraded today using the RPM version to 4.25(14)... after the
upgrade/rebuild of this and that, MS started up happily with my old
configuration.

(One point I'd like to throw in is can we have a switch to 'install.sh'
to build MailScanner and friends, but not necessarily kick it into
place?)

While I worked on upgrading my configuration to add in the new bits,
etc. I noticed the queues building up...

Eventually, tracking down a load of 'bayes.lock' files in
/var/spool/spamassassin, I gathered that all was not well in the world
of Bayes.

I quickly uncommented the 'use_bayes 0' in the default
spam.assassin.prefs.conf, and things flowed happily.

Looking at the new configuration, I see:
SpamAssassin User State Dir = /var/spool/MailScanner/spamassassin

So, I have a few problems.

Firstly, is it possible my Bayes DB is corrupt, and if so, what do I
do?

Does SA use this 'User State Dir' to look for the Bayes DBs, or is that
tied to the 'bayes_path' setting in spam.assassin.prefs.conf?

And finally, should I upgrade to SA 2.61 anyway?

Any advice would be appreciated!