Exim queue running cron.d fragment? recomplie cron? - debian

Hancock, Scott HancockS at MORGANCO.COM
Mon Dec 8 16:30:28 GMT 2003

>> 08,23,38,53 *     * * *     mail   if [ -x /usr/lib/exim/exim3 -a -f
 >/etc/exim/exim_send.conf ]; then /usr/lib/exim/exim3 -C
 >/etc/exim/exim_send.conf /-q ; fi
 >
 >This is mentioned in the docs somewhere, isn't it? I could have sworn
 >mentioned it in there somewhere...

You did.

        /usr/exim/bin/exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim.in callout > /dev/null
        /usr/exim/bin/exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim.in retry > /dev/null
        /usr/exim/bin/exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim.in reject > /dev/null
        /usr/exim/bin/exim_tidydb /var/spool/exim.in wait-smtp >
/dev/null

Instead of running Exim as a daemon, some people run it from inetd (for
incoming SMTP) and cron (for queue runs), though this disables some of
Exim's load management features. If you do this then you do not need to
change inetd.conf, but you do need to modify the queue running command
in the crontab to

        /usr/exim/bin/exim -q -C /usr/exim/configure.out

 >That would be correct. Debian's cron no longer uses -odi in testing
and
 >unstable distributions, so when sarge releases (soon, I hope :-) ), it
 >will be
 >sorted. But yes, just get rid of the -odi.

I see the fix in the change logs now (after a week off).  I was looking
at the original package .tar.

 >> My retry and remote db on the listening side are about 500 MB each
when
 >they should be empty.
 >
 >Have you added the cron job to empty them (also in the docs)?

I believe so if you're referring to the above lines from the install
page.  If not please advise.

Sorry for the bother.  It was a matter of understanding and applying the
notes on my part.  I was under the gun at the time of the last email and
should have walked away before sending.

Thanks for taking the time.

Scott