Small log request

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Dec 5 12:18:19 GMT 2003

At 11:13 05/12/2003, you wrote:

>Julian Field wrote:
>
>>At 08:49 05/12/2003, you wrote:
>>
>>>Wouldnt it be interesting to see what version of SpamAssasin
>>>MailScanner is
>>>using when it starts?
>>>
>>>"MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.24-5 starting..." followed by
>>>
>>>perl -MMail::SpamAssassin -e 'print "MailScanner using SpamAssassin
>>>version
>>>$Mail::SpamAssassin::VERSION\n";' would be nice IMO
>>

>>At that point it doesn't know whether you want to use SA, or even have it
>>installed.
>>--
>Not to mention that MailScanner isvery noisy in my logfiles already
><grins> :)

If you make it log to something other than mail, say local0 and set up a
syslog.conf entry that does something like

local0.notice                     /var/log/MailScanner.log

then you won't log any info, just the important warnings. You don't have to
write everything into your logs if you don't want to.
--
Julian Field

PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654