AOL blocking MailScanner messages!

Gerry Doris gdoris at ROGERS.COM
Fri Dec 5 01:14:24 GMT 2003

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Mike Kercher wrote:

> I'm running it and I love it.  For the most part, legit email has legit DNS.
> If not, admins on the other end need to get off their ass and make their
> networking correct, complete and in compliance with the RFC's.
>
> Mike

I'm not sure where I picked up the following sendmail local rules (it may
have been right here on this list) but they've been working well for me.
I've ended up commenting out the replies and just discard the messages
that are caught.

It's amazing how many people have made obvious typo's in their dns tables!
It's also amazing how much spam is discarded.

These just go in sendmail.mc and you do the normal stuff to activate.  The
longer lines have wrapped.

LOCAL_RULESETS
SLocal_check_relay
R$*     $: $&{client_resolve}
RTEMP   $#discard $: discard
RFORGED $#discard $: discard
RFAIL   $#discard $: discard
dnl
dnl RTEMP       $#error $@ 5.7.1 $: "550 Access Denied ; Incomplete DNS.
Cannot resolve PTR record for "$&{client_addr}" Please have your system
administrator correct the zone entries."
dnl
dnl RFORGED     $#error $@ 5.7.1 $: "550 Access Denied ; Incomplete DNS.
IP name possibly forged " $&{client_name}" Please have your system
administrator correct the zone entries."
dnl
dnl RFAIL       $#error $@ 5.7.1 $: "550 Access Denied ; Incomplete DNS.
Hostname lookup failed for " $&{client_name}" please have your system
administrator correct the zone entries."

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer