Something I'd love to see in MailScanner

Matt Kettler mkettler at EVI-INC.COM
Fri Dec 5 00:55:36 GMT 2003

At 07:40 PM 12/4/2003, you wrote:
>Spammers have turned up the heat...let's bug their ISP's to death :)

Realistically, all the "automated carpet bomb complaint" type systems do is
make ISP's procmail them all to /dev/null.. they create so much noise that
they overload abuse systems.

And personally, the first time I got *one* false auto-report, I'd 550 the
IP of the server that delivered it.

10.0.0.1        550     broken autoresponders are not welcome here.

Feel free to send the abuse address here legit abuse reports, but be sure
they are accurate. I certainly will have zero tolerance for automated
systems spamming my system accounts with false reports. That's IMO worse
than being a spammer.

There's an old closed bug in SA's bugzilla where someone suggested SA add
an "auto abuse report" feature.. That flew about as far as a lead balloon.