AOL blocking MailScanner messages!

Daniel Bird dbird at SGHMS.AC.UK
Thu Dec 4 10:29:40 GMT 2003

DNSAdmin wrote:

> At 08:06 PM 12/2/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>
>> I have just tested this and found it not to be true:
>>
>> 220-rly-yb03.mx.aol.com ESMTP mail_relay_in-yb3.3; Tue, 02 Dec 2003
>> 15:01:11 -0500
>> 220-America Online (AOL) and its affiliated companies do not
>> 220-     authorize the use of its proprietary computers and computer
>> 220-     networks to accept, transmit, or distribute unsolicited bulk
>> 220-     e-mail sent from the internet.  Effective immediately:  AOL
>> 220-     may no longer accept connections from IP addresses which
>> 220      have no reverse-DNS (PTR record) assigned.
>

> Which means that you never had your reverse DNS correct, or maybe
> something
> happened to it recently. Perhaps your upstream provider?

Our RDNS resolves, and we run all our own services. This problem has now
become an intermittent issue.

I've now ruled out any involvement with MailScanner as it's started
happening with mail from our domain which hasn't been scanned (i.e I
have a rule set which does not scan mails destined for AOL)

It's all very odd. If MailScanner scans the messages ALL mail gets
blocked by them If it's turned off some gets blocked and some doesn't.
The denial is on DATA, so I'm collecting mail to AOL so I can comare
those that get blocked and those that don't.
I've called and called AOL and my "ticket is being processed".

Frustrated
Dan

> Cheers,
> Glenn
>
>> HELO mailscanner.biz
>> 250 rly-yb03.mx.aol.com OK
>> MAIL from: <jules at jules.fm>
>> 250 OK
>> RCPT to: <steve1 at aol.com>
>> 250 OK
>> DATA
>> 354 START MAIL INPUT, END WITH "." ON A LINE BY ITSELF
>> From: jules at jules.fm
>> To: steve1 at aol.com
>> Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 18:33:41 +0000
>> Subject: This is a test message
>>
>> This is a test message. Please delete me.
>> --
>> Jules
>> .
>> 250 OK
>>
>> which appears to say it has accepted the message.
>> --
>> Julian Field
>> www.MailScanner.info
>> Professional Support Services at www.MailScanner.biz
>> MailScanner thanks transtec Computers for their support
>> PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC 7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654

believed to be clean.