Sophos updates

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Wed Dec 3 17:35:02 GMT 2003

hermit921 wrote:
> Does the automatic Sophos updating process installed with MailScanner
> include engine updates or just new virus signatures?
>
> The mail logs show new Sophos ide files every hour on most days.  Are virus
> signatures updated that often or is this an artifact of the update script?

as an aside to this, my beta testing of the new version of Enterprise
Manager (now to be called EM Library I think) seems to be going ok. My
test version of MailScanner has been using an EM maintained Sophos
installation for some weeks now. If you use (or are thinking of using)
EM to manage CIDs for windows boxes, you will soon (think the beta
finishes soon) be able to use it to manage the copy MailScanner uses
too. That will then take care of engine updates, new virus signatures
and new versions of the engine because they've realised the release
version has "issues"!

If you're just using Sophos with MailScanner, you're not interested in
the above!

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed
Information Services               "Who do you say I am?"