postfix comments ... was: Re: receiving mails with executable.

Pete pete at eatathome.com.au
Wed Dec 3 12:51:14 GMT 2003

C. Jon Larsen wrote:

>On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Julian Field wrote:
>

>>To give you the brief answer to this question....
>>
>>The Postfix guys don't like me as I dared to use their software in a way
>>they hadn't intended. Rather than publish the file format (which sendmail
>>does) or happily let me use it (the Exim authors use MailScanner
>>themselves), the Postfix guys throw their toys out of the pram and whinge a
>>lot.
>>

>I see your point :=) I think postfix is supposed to be formalizing their
>APIs for dealing with queues, etc. Thanks for the background info.
>

>>I'm not going to apologise for daring to "think outside the box".
>>

>MailScanner is *great* software. You have a lot to be proud of. Postfix
>guys seem to suggest using Amavis-new instead of MS. But to me thats a
>step backwards and away from the best software to scan and protect emails
>(MailScanner).
>
>I wanted postfix and I wanted MailScanner :=)  Here's what I did to make
>them work together - see below ...
>

>>Many people run MailScanner on Postfix without any problems. A few sites
>>see a fault where very occasionally a message with no body is delivered.
>>The correct version of the same message with its body is later delivered
>>correctly, in addition to the version with the body missing. No mail is lost.
>>

>I did not want to take that chance, so I setup 1 postfix instance as an
>external smtp router and proxy that looks up incoming domains in an SQL
>database and makes routing decisions based on a content_scan column. It
>can route the mail directly to the destination, drop the mail if its for an
>invalid domain, or route it to the dedicated MailScanner box, which uses
>sendmail. The MailScanner box does its job, and then sends the mail to a
>third postfix box which does message delivery to mailboxes, and handles
>SMTP AUTH for customers that send email from mail clients.
>
>Exim was not my cup of tea for a secure internet facing MTA :=)  I'm not
>saying its not secure, its just not what I wanted. I did not see Exim as
>being more secure than sendmail due to its design (my opinion only, send
>flames to /dev/null).
>
>I was looking for something that had privilege separation like qmail or
>postfix for an internet facing MTA. Since my internal mailscanner box is
>locked down from an SMTP listener perspective, I am o.k. running sendmail
>on that, though exim would probably make a better host than sendmail for
>the MS - thanks for the tips though.
>
>I looked as smtp.proxy, Obtuse/juniper smtp proxy, qpsmtpd, and mailfront
>as ways to improve the security of the internet facing MTA. qpsmtpd and
>mailfront were too qmailish (also not my preference) and none of the smtp
>proxies gave me a warm and fuzzy regarding protocol support/workaround
>(ESMTP, cisco pix workarounds like postfix has). They seemed o.k. for
>hobbyists but not for production networks that get a lot of mail from a
> [...]
There is already haps of info in the list - but i am still pretty new
with MailScanner, and mine works flawlessly with postfix 2.016 on RH9.
These 2 boxes sit in the DMZ and handle all our inbound mail - its fast
enough (how fast does smtp mail need to be?) very reliable and stops
almost all of our spam - perfect!

I personally tried for so long to get amavis, sa and postfix working
nicely together i gavce up entirely until i stumbled accorss a post
about mailscanner elsewhere - gave it a try and was hooked, inside of 3
weeks we had conducted testing, planned and executed a rollout - a
rollout that has not required the restart of the MS service or box once,
not even once since going live with 2 machines in a multi domain
environment - not bad for a linux newbie :) My point is, its works SO
well, and is very easy to get going, i cant understand why anyone
wouldnt use it...