Sophos updates

Derek Winkler dwinkler at ALGORITHMICS.COM
Tue Dec 2 21:32:45 GMT 2003

You don't experience any problems running Sophos.install while
MailScanner/Sophos are running?

No uninstall necessary?

Thanks,

Derek Winkler
Security Administrator
Algorithmics Inc., Toronto
Tel: (416) 217-4107
Fax: (416) 971-6263
www.algorithmics.com

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Jason Balicki
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 4:27 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Sophos updates

>Does the automatic Sophos updating process installed with MailScanner
>include engine updates or just new virus signatures?

MailScanner only updates the ide files.  You can use a script
called MajorSophos to download the engine, then run the
Sophos.install script included with MS.  I run it all from
cron on a monthly basis.

>The mail logs show new Sophos ide files every hour on most
>days.  Are virus
>signatures updated that often or is this an artifact of the
>update script?

In my experience, Sophos updates frequently, but to answer the
question I think you're asking:  no, it's probably not Sophos
updating every hour.  The autoupdate script does check every
hour, and AFAIK, it reports a sucessful update wether you needed
the update or not -- that's what you're seeing in your logs.

You can find MajorSophos here:
http://www.tippingmar.com/majorsophos/

--J(K)