receiving mails with executable.

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Dec 2 14:50:45 GMT 2003

To give you the brief answer to this question....

The Postfix guys don't like me as I dared to use their software in a way
they hadn't intended. Rather than publish the file format (which sendmail
does) or happily let me use it (the Exim authors use MailScanner
themselves), the Postfix guys throw their toys out of the pram and whinge a
lot.

I'm not going to apologise for daring to "think outside the box".

Many people run MailScanner on Postfix without any problems. A few sites
see a fault where very occasionally a message with no body is delivered.
The correct version of the same message with its body is later delivered
correctly, in addition to the version with the body missing. No mail is lost.

As many MailScanner sites now run it on a dedicated server, it makes very
little difference what MTA is chosen, as all the MTA's can take mail in and
just punt it onto another server.

My personal recommendation is probably Exim, especially if you don't like
sendmail. Exim is very easy to configure and is very fast. When used with
MailScanner it is considerably faster than Postfix as Postfix copies all
the data around more often than it needs to, resulting in inefficient
handling, particularly of large messages.

--
Julian Field

PGP footprint: EE81 D763 3DB0 0BFD E1DC  7222 11F6 5947 1415 B654