Upgrade Advice

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 19:31:42 GMT 2003

Installing SA from RPM is indeed a bad idea. But to get the packaging, you
can download the SRPM and "rpmbuild -rebuild" the RPM from it. This will
give you an RPM which is set up for your system. I've done that on 1 or 2
machines and it all works fine.

If you upgrade MS, be sure to run "upgrade_MailScanner_conf" afterwards so
you get all the new config options in your MailScanner.conf.

Also, note that Net::CIDR is a new dependency, so you may want to
         perl -MCPAN -e shell
         install Net::CIDR
before you start doing anything. If that install command looks like it is
downloading perl itself, thump Ctrl-C quickly and bail out. You will find
the source of Net::CIDR under ~root/.cpan/build and you can build it from
there without it trying to install Perl 5.8.2!

Once you have installed MailScanner, stop the service and then it might be
worth setting "Debug = yes" and then run check_MailScanner. If there are
any errors, you will see them straight away and can fix them. Then set
"Debug = no" again and start it as normal.

I upgraded my own production servers today and it went okay :-)

--
Julian Field