[patch] make mail headers rfc822 conformant

Sun Aug 31 17:49:32 IST 2003

On Sunday 31 August 2003 5:37 pm, Matthias Klose wrote:

> Antony Stone writes:
>
> > My reading of this is that MixedCase is perfatcly acceptable, although
> > mail programs are not required to pay any attention to the particular
> > case chosen. "Mail Header = X-MailScanner:" should be treated just the
> > same as "Mail Header = X-Mailscanner:", and both are equally valid.
> >
> > Please redirect me if I didn't find the correct bit of RFC822 which says
> > that mixed case is disallowed.
>
> Got this from MailTools (Header.pm):
>
> # attempt to change the case of a tag to that required by RFC822. That
> # being all characters are lowercase except the first of each word. Also
> # if the word is an `acronym' then all characters are uppercase. We decide
> # a word is an acronym if it does not contain a vowel.

Well, I think a reading of RFC822 clearly indicates that mixed case is
allowed - it even gives an example of the "From:" header to show this.

My opinion is that MailTools (Header.pm) is as unreliable in this respect as
is its definition of an acronym being a word not containing a vowel (eg
Radar, Sonar, Laser, Eprom...)

In fact it's hard to even imagine an acronym which does not contain a vowel,
since an acronym is an abbreviation which can be pronounced.   That gets hard
if you have no vowels.

Regards,

Antony.

--

Agnostics do not believe in God.
Atheists believe there is no God.

Does that make me an agnostic atheist if I do not believe there is no God?