[patch] make mail headers rfc822 conformant

Sun Aug 31 16:59:11 IST 2003

On Sunday 31 August 2003 4:32 pm, Matthias Klose wrote:

> rfc822 doesn't allow mixed-case words

Er, from http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html :

 3.4.7.  CASE INDEPENDENCE

        Except as noted, alphabetic strings may be represented in  any
        combination of upper and lower case.  The only syntactic units
        which requires preservation of case information are:

                    -  text
                    -  qtext
                    -  dtext
                    -  ctext
                    -  quoted-pair
                    -  local-part, except "Postmaster"

        When matching any other syntactic unit, case is to be ignored.
        For  example, the field-names "From", "FROM", "from", and even
        "FroM" are semantically equal and should all be treated ident-
        ically.

        When generating these units, any mix of upper and  lower  case
        alphabetic  characters  may  be  used.  The case shown in this
        specification is suggested for message-creating processes.

        Note:  The reserved local-part address unit, "Postmaster",  is
               an  exception.   When  the  value "Postmaster" is being
               interpreted, it must be  accepted  in  any  mixture  of
               case, including "POSTMASTER", and "postmaster".

My reading of this is that MixedCase is perfatcly acceptable, although mail
programs are not required to pay any attention to the particular case chosen.
"Mail Header = X-MailScanner:" should be treated just the same as
"Mail Header = X-Mailscanner:", and both are equally valid.

Please redirect me if I didn't find the correct bit of RFC822 which says that
mixed case is disallowed.

Regards,

Antony.

--

You can spend the whole of your life trying to be popular,
but at the end of the day the size of the crowd at your funeral

 - Frank Skinner