Sat Aug 30 19:59:40 IST 2003

On Saturday 30 August 2003 7:11 pm, Mike Kercher wrote:

> > > This is what Wietse Venema says about MailScanner:
> > >
> > > "MailScanner is unsafe. It bypasses the correct interfaces to access
> > > queue files. I would not trust it with Postfix or with any other MTA."
> >
> > Excuse my ignorance, but who is Wietse Venema? And more importantly, why
> > does this person's opinion matter?
>
> He be the author of Postfix

In which case he might know what he's talking about where interactions
between MailScanner and Postfix are concerned, however it doesn't give him
any authority to say that MailScanner is unsafe with "any other MTA".

Also, for those who don't know, Wietse Venema was (co-)author of a network
security analysis tool called SATAN in the mid-90s, which generated a lot of
debate at the time about it possibly being an irresponsible thing to release
into the public domain (since security analyses can be done by the owner of
the network, but can also be done by people wishing to break in), however in
retrospect it turned out to be a bit of a damp squib - it was a useful
network tool, but nothing spectacular.

Regards,

Antony.

--

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs,
then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilisation.