RC scripts - restart not working

David Hooton david at PLATFORMHOSTING.COM
Fri Aug 29 04:09:42 IST 2003

I think the problem is that the time to cleanup processes is longer than
5 seconds sometimes.

Perhaps MS could be made to just dump any open SMTP sessions for later
transmission?
--
Regards,

David Hooton
Senior Partner
Platform Hosting
1300 85 HOST
www.platformhosting.com

Bret Hughes wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-08-28 at 21:24, David Hooton wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Due to some systems software we have installed, we need to restart
>>MailScanner every 15 minutes - this is not a problem, we don't mind the
>>restart bit, that's ok.
>>
>>The problem we have is that the rc scripts don't always actually restart
>>MailScanner.  We're running /etc/init.d/MailScanner restart but that
>>seems to not work properly because MailScanner has to wait for all
>>processes to stop.
>>
>>Our (not so great) work around is to script a service stop, wait 10
>>seconds and then start MS as per normal.  Surely there's a better way..
>>
>>I am kinda erring on pointing the bone and saying the rc scripts are
>>broken, but I'm not that kinda guy! :)
>>

> well, on my machine /etc/init.d/MailScanner simply waits 5 between the
> stop and start.  It does seem kind of a bummer that it is not really
> stopped when the stop call returns.  what is still happening at that
> point?  Obviously there is something going on since the wait 5 is there.
>
> I was going to suggest looking at /var/run/MailScanner.pid but I suspect
> it is gone already.
>
> Bret

  This message has been scanned for viruses and unsafe content by
  Platform MailScanner

  To report SPAM forward the message to: spam at platformhosting.com
  To report incorrectly tagged messages: notspam at platformhosting.com

  Platform MailScanner - http://mailscanner.platformhosting.com/