Blocking attachments instead of just removing them

Kyle Harris lists at TRCINTL.COM
Thu Aug 28 14:40:58 IST 2003

But when it removes the attachments listed in that file, doesn't it then
send on the rest of the message to the intended recipient?  That is what I
am hoping to stop.

At 13:58 28/08/2003, you wrote:
>A suggestion for future versions.  Would it be possible to create a
>separate, new setting that allows you to block a list of given
>attachments?  I feel like with the latest round of viruses, many would
>find that feature useful.  That way, if I run MailScanner along with a
>virus scanner and tell it that any e-mail it finds with a .scr, .pif,
>.bat, .exe, .vbs, can simply be delted without notification to the
>sender.  Any other viruses found (such as a macro virus in a Word
>document) would be cleaned and sent on.  I have seen several of these
>macro viruses still floating around.

Already there. See /etc/MailScanner/filename.rules.conf.

To get the fine-grained "sender notification" control, I implemented that a
day or two ago for someone else, and it is in the beta release I have just
published.

>By the way, thank you very much for all the responses.  I'm sold on the
>product, but I sure wish it had the feature above.

It already has :-)