mailscanner apply virus outbound?

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 27 21:43:04 IST 2003

At 21:39 27/08/2003, you wrote:
>Provided I have set Virus Scanning = yes
>
>Will all mail inbound and outbound be scanned for viruses?  I KNOW inbound
>are being scanned successfully....however, I just saw a message with a LARGE
>number of different recipients go through my system outbound several of
>which appear to be be causing bounces from destinations.
>
>I want to be sure that my users aren't sending out viruses...
>
>is it possible that the scanner would NOT be applied to outbound messages?

If you are running an old version of sendmail and are invoking the sendmail
binary directly (on the MailScanner server) to deliver outbound mail, then
the mail will avoid the incoming SMTP service and hence not be scanned.

In *all* other situations, MailScanner will scan every bit of mail, whether
outbound or inbound.
--
Julian Field