Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it c aptain! "

Youn Gonzales ispmgr at CLAS.NET
Wed Aug 27 20:25:00 IST 2003

Disadvantages of DNS based load balancing:
In many cases spammers target a particular ip address.

Spammer A may connect and send 10,000 spam messages to mx1, while Spammer B
connects to mx2 and sends only 500, then Spammer C connects to mx1 and sends
10,000 messages, while Spammer D connects to mx2 and sends only 500, etc.

Spammer A uses caching DNS, Spammer B does not

I tried it using 3 different servers. One server would always get hammered
and the other two only received a minimal load.

Advantages of hardware based load balancing:
Hardware load balancing devices can keep track of how much traffic is going
to each server and dynamically balance the traffic, DNS load balancing
cannot.

Hardware load balancing can detect server outages and dynamically balance
the traffic across the remaining servers, DNS load balancing typically
cannot.

Hardware load balancing can allow you to increase or decrease the number of
servers in the "server farm" on the fly and adjust the traffic dynamically.

Harware load balancing can allow you to use weighting systems so that you
can have some really fast servers that handle more of the load and some
slower servers that only handle a smaller portion of the load.

The only drawback I can see from hardware load balancing would be if your
mail servers are in different locations - ie a spooling server on a
redundant network segment. I know that some load balancing systems require
the devices to be on the same network segment. In that case, if your mail is
so critical that it requires off-site spooling servers, I would configure
load balanced servers at each location.

Youn Gonzales
System Administrator
Comptia A+, Network+, INET+,