Help configuring sendmail/Mailscanner

Aviram Carmi avi at OTN.COM
Wed Aug 27 20:17:40 IST 2003

Hi all,

I need help configuring sendmail/mailscananer for my particular environment.

 From the mailscanner faq
(http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/faq.shtml#16) it is
possible to do what I am trying to do, however I do not know how to
do it...

I host several domain names, both the web sites and several email
boxes for each domain.

I currently use EIMS (Eudora Internet Mail Server) which is an SMTP
POP3 IMAP PH LDAP ACAP Password server for the Macintosh (running
under MacOS 9.2.2), but I have two EIMS servers, to split the load
(EIMS is running on two very old 7100/80Mhz machines).

EIMS is easy to manage for a non-admin type like me, easy to add
domains, users, groups, forwarding, etc. but it leaves a lot to be
desired with respect to spam and virus filtering.

Also, all my customers point to my EIMS to send/receive email, and I
rather not have them change the configuration, and I rather not move
all mailboxes/passwords to the Linux machine, so I am stuck with EIMS
as the final delivery POP3 server.

Some of the pieces in this mailscanner puzzle (well at least for me
it is a puzzle...) I know how to do:

I know how to set up EIMS to only accept SMTP connections from a
single IP (or range) easy, that is why I love EIMS...

I know how to set up two MX entries, I already have one pointing to
the appropriate EIMS sever, so I'll only need to add another one with
higher number/lower priority to point to the sendmail/mailscanner
machine, I will have to edit lots of zone files, but I know how to do
it.

But I am lost when it comes to setting up the
Linux/sendmail/mailscanner side of this puzzle...

I already have one machine with Red Hat Linux 7.3 (all my other
machines are MacOS, but I needed the Linux box for DNS, web access
stats, calendar cgi, etc.)

The Linx box does have sendmail installed by default, but I have no
idea how to configure it...

How do I set up a "proxy mail server running Unix/Linux" to accept
mail for each of the domains so that sendmail can forward each
message to mailscanner?

How do I configure sendmail as a "secondary MX" to "forward all
incoming mail to a better MX" for each of the multiple domains?

do I need an entry per domain, or will it do it automatically?

I cannot just set up sendmail to forward all email to one other MTA,
since I have two EIMS servers...

would mailscanner/sendmail/EIMS be confused because of the multiple
domains? I need to make sure that sales at xyz.com and sales at abc.com go
to the appropriate EIMS mailbox, i.e. even though both MX for xyz.com
and abc.com point to the same EIMS server, EIMS does its magic and
knows the difference between the two.

Thanks,

-avi

--

Aviram Carmi
Owner

Over TheNet (R)
601 Daily Drive Suite #226
Camarillo, CA 93010-5840

http://www.otn.com/   Building Profitable Web Sites Today
(805) 384-1144 Voice  (805) 384-9111 FAX

(C) Copyright 2003, Over TheNet (R)  All rights reserved.