Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it c aptain! "

Wed Aug 27 14:07:15 IST 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 2:18 am, Damien McKenna wrote:

> On Tuesday 26 August 2003 09:00 pm, Antony Stone wrote:
> > I agree with the last point - this would work better as a single system,
> > therefore if you *can* set up two well endowed machines, better to
> > configure them both for anti-virus and anti-spam checking, and have equal
> > priority MX records pointing to them for load balancing.
>
> Good idea.
>
> One question though - how would that work with the user's mailbox storage?
> Would that be on a separate server which was mounted?

Either 'mounted' or else a simple SMTP/POP3 server with no scanning tools.

I believe you want different features for a mail scanning machine: processing
ability and memory, not much storage, you can easily cope if it falls over,
so long as there's another machine next to it with an MX record - versus a
mail storage (POP3/IMAP) machine: not much processing, not much memory but
needs disk storage for the mailboxes (especially for IMAP) and needs to be
reliable (Raid, good PSUs etc) because if this falls over your users can't
collect their email.

Regards,

Antony.

--

This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of
caster sugar.   Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40
minutes.   Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some
decorative kiwi fruit and cream.   Then notify me immediately by return email
and eat the original message.