Silent virus and filename check

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at utwente.nl
Tue Aug 26 07:50:05 IST 2003

Hi,

I just received a warning about a alledged Sobig infection on my system
from somebody using MailScanner. Their MS triggered on the virusscanner
seeing Sobig and MS itself detected the .pif extension.

I wondered what happens when this occurs and Sobig is listed as silent
virus. Does that prevail over tellling the sender his .pif did not get
through or do filename checks allways produce a warning to the sender?

--
Peter Peters, senior netwerkbeheerder
Dienst Informatietechnologie, Bibliotheek en Educatie (ITBE)