Testing MailScanner

Tue Aug 26 01:19:24 IST 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 12:41 am, Vernon Webb wrote:

> OK, now I seem to have figured something out here. No idea how to fix it,
> but here goes.
>
> If I stop Sendmail and start MailScanner all incoming messages are scanned.
> On the other hand, if I do that, no messages seem to go out until I start
> Sendmail again. Now what?

Now check how many sendmail instances are getting started, with what
command-line options, and ensure that there is:

 - exactly one sendmail process accepting incoming SMTP connections and
queueing to the directory where MailScanner looks for email to scan (ie this
sendmail does not try to deliver email), and

 - exactly one sendmail process (called a "queue runner" in current
sendmail-speak) which checks the outbound MailScanner queue and delivers
email, locally or remotely.

Check your startup scripts for all occurrences of sendmail, and make sure
there are two, and only two, doing the jobs listed above..

I believe you will find that somewhere, an instance of sendmail is being
started which is listening for incoming mail, and then delivering it, instead
of processing it through MailScanner along the way.

Regards,

Antony.

--

Anyone that's normal doesn't really achieve much.

 - Mark Blair, Australian rocket engineer

--

In science, one tries to tell people
in such a way as to be understood by everyone

In poetry, it is the exact opposite.

 - Paul Dirac