Logs and Stats

Mon Aug 25 23:39:30 IST 2003

On Monday 25 August 2003 11:29 pm, Keith Chong wrote:

> I am in the process of upgrading from 3.21 to 4.20-3.  I generate a report
> every night which has what MailScanner and SpamAssassin as done that day.
> I noticed that the virus found in fine linee comes up twice.

(I chopped the logs because my mail client wrapped the lines and made a
complete mess of them....)

> Why is there second line that says Sobig was found?

The first is when the mail was scanned and the virus found, the second was
after attempting to disinfect the file (whcih you can't do with most viruses
- the whole file *is* the virus), and confirms the virus couldn't be
disinfected from the file.

> We are interested in knowing how many of each virus was received each day
> and this make it more difficult to get an accurate number.

Count the lines and divide by two :) ?

Antony.

--

Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics