spam and vira statistics with Mailscanner

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at HERFF-JONES.COM
Mon Aug 25 21:25:49 IST 2003

http://www.smf.f2s.com/mailscanner/
http://staff.cie.uce.ac.uk/~id001869/mailstats/
http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/mrtg.shtml

I personally hate talking to um, uh ... well, pretty much anyone who wants
me to do something for them. :-)  So I am hoping to get a solution similar
to the first link above running that lets users do some things in a
self-service manner.  I also am hoping said system will facilitate
contributing spams back to razor and dcc and spamcop.net, but I haven't even
started trying to make it work yet.

I really like what I've seen so far of "MailWatch for MailScanner", but I
also want...:

- users to be able to answer the question, "Did you block a message to me
from X concerning Y?" without help from me.

- users to be able to answer the question, "How much spam have you blocked
for me lately?" without help from me.

- users to be able to release a quarantined message from a web interface if
they get to it within X days.

- users to have access only to their own message list, not others'.

- zero administration of user authentication / authorization for this system
- ie in order to obtain access to this list of messages blocked by MS, the
user would hit a url and enter their email address, then wait for an email
with a url that grants them access to the list of their messages.  Said
interface would need to be restricted to trusted network access though.

- admins and trusted users to be able to submit unmodified messages to
razor/dcc/spamcop/etc.  (That seems to mean MailWatch is out for me, since
it sounds like Steve's next version will allow repackaging of messages,
which would change checksums needed by razor/dcc.)

--
Trever