Effective virus scanners

Gerry Doris gerry at DORFAM.CA
Sun Aug 24 20:13:29 IST 2003

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Chris Mason wrote:

> I now have enabled clamav and f-prot together, I think that should stop just
> about anything and the users permissions also contributes to overall system
> security, so I feel pretty confident we are well protected. Spamassassin
> takes out a lot of virus just on it own anyway.
>
> Chris Mason
> masonc at masonc.com
> Yahoo IM: netconcepts_anguilla at yahoo.com
> 264 497-5670 Fax: 264 497-8463
> www.netconcepts.ai

SpamAssassin doesn't remove any virii at all.  It is not a virus scanner.
For virii you need something like ClamAV or F-Prot.

SpamAssassin scans messages and scores them on how "spammy" they appear.
If the score reaches a preset threshold it is flagged as spam.  It's up to
you to decide how you want to handle the message.  You can filter for the
spam flag and do whatever you want with the message (ie. erase, put in a
special folder, do nothing, etc)

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer