SA install problem, RH 9

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sun Aug 24 07:19:09 IST 2003

Greetings:

I'm setting up a new box, primarily to run MailScanner and attendant components.
I've been happily running MS with SpamAssassin on another system for quite a
while with great success. However, I can't get SpamAssassin installed now.
Whether i use CPAN or download the source tarball, 2.55 or 2.60RC2, I'm getting
the same error:

[root at vanquish Mail-SpamAssassin-2.60]# perl Makefile.PL
What email address or URL should be used in the suspected-spam report
text for users who want more information on your filter installation?
(In particular, ISPs should change this to a local Postmaster contact)
default text: [the administrator of that system] vanhorn at bogachiel.net

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good

Warning: I could not locate your pod2man program. Please make sure,
         your pod2man program is in your PATH before you execute 'make'

Writing Makefile for Mail::SpamAssassin

Okay, I use locate to find that pod2man is in /usr/bin, and set to confirm that
/usr/bin is in my path. So, I go ahead with the make:

[root at vanquish Mail-SpamAssassin-2.60]# make
Makefile:93: *** missing separator.  Stop.

Line 93 consists only of this:

installman1

No, equal sign, no parameter, unlike most other lines in that part of the file.
This is a very recent install of RedHat 9, so this is Perl 5.80. Has anyone else
run into this? Have you found some really obvious workaround that I should have
thought of?

TIA,

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,