Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it c aptain! "

Devin Reade gdr at GNO.ORG
Fri Aug 22 21:47:52 IST 2003

Drew Weaver wrote:
> It's a RAID 5 array, its not exactly slow or limited.

Someone else has already commented on RAID 5, so I'll just add in
the missing info.  The different RAID types are a tradeoff between
storage size, redundancy, speed, and price.  RAID 5 will give
you size, redundancy, and (low) price, but they suck for performance.
In a production environment where price is usually the least concern,
you're best off with RAID 0+1, doing it in hardware, and tuning it
to your application.

But before you go down that road too far, follow the other folks'
suggestions and look at all parts of the system.  Nothing compares
to empirical tests, the scientific method, and basing your decisions
on hard data.
--
         Devin Reade         <gdr at gno.org>