Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it c aptain! "

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at THENAP.COM
Fri Aug 22 20:59:06 IST 2003

It's a Dell PERC 2si.

-Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: Antony Stone [mailto:Antony at SOFT-SOLUTIONS.CO.UK]
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 3:32 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it
c aptain! "

On Friday 22 August 2003 8:44 pm, Drew Weaver wrote:

> It's a RAID 5 array, its not exactly slow or limited.

Is that a hardware Raid controller, or software Raid?

Either way, Raid 5 is not good at handling large numbers of small files (eg
mail queue files).

If it's a hardware controller, the Raid array could give you disappointing
performance without exercising the CPU.

If it's a software system, then you'll see the CPU being used, but still
worse performance than if the disks weren't Raided.

Antony.

--

Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.
You'll feel much better about things once you do.