Mailscanner filter server to my Mail store " I just canna do it c aptain! "

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 20:17:34 IST 2003

At 20:04 22/08/2003, you wrote:
>The only purpose for this box is virus scanning. This used to be my old
>mail server for my domain, but I have since replaced it because it
>couldn't handle the load, I assumed however that this box would be able to
>handle the MailScanner load, since it doesn't have to write mail to
>people's mailboxes.

Writing to people's mailboxes is lighter load than doing all the decoding
of messages and virus scanning.
For 450,000 messages per day I would recommend something like a dual P3
1Ghz or something like that. MailScanner is designed to have a light
impact, but scanning 450,000 messages per day does require quite a lot of work.

However, there are a few things you can do to lessen the load:
Mount /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming using tmpfs
Change your /etc/syslog.conf so you log to "-/var/log/maillog" and not just
"/var/log/maillog". If you don't know what this does, read the docs for
syslog.conf.
Switch off all spam checks
Try using the Perl-SAVI module and hence the "sophossavi" scanner.

--
Julian Field