Silent virus quarantine?

Fri Aug 22 18:01:46 IST 2003

On Friday 22 August 2003 5:53 pm, John Rudd wrote:

> On Friday, Aug 22, 2003, at 08:35 US/Pacific, Julian Field wrote:
> > At 16:32 22/08/2003, you wrote:
> >> Do viruses in the silent virus list get quarantined?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> That seems like a bug to me.  Or, at least, a design contradiction.
>
> If the message is silently deleted, how will anyone know that you need
> to pull it out of quarantine?  How will anyone find it if you don't
> know where it was quarantined, because the report was never sent to
> anyone?

That's not quite what silent means - it doesn't guarantee that the message is
'deleted' (ie never delivered to anyone).

You might choose to mark as 'Virus' and deliver to recipients all messages
which contained viruses (after removing them, of course), but the 'silent'
indicator means not to bounce anything back to the (forged) sender saying
they just sent a virus.

So the intended recipient may still get notification that they were sent a
virus, even if it's one of the 'silent' ones.   Whether or not they ever ask
for such a thing to be pulled out of quarantine and delivered to them is
another matter, of course (but then this applies to all viruses, not just the
silent ones).

Antony.

--

If you think you see a Heffalump in a trap,
make sure it isn't really a Bear with an empty honey jar stuck on his head.