Heads-up: Possible Sobig-F second wave attack

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 22 16:51:06 IST 2003

More news from Symantec:

Blocking the following UDP ports internally may be a good idea

(info taken from symantec)

The worm starts the download attempt by sending a probe to port 8998/udp
of the master server. Then, the server replies with a URL, where the
worm can download the file to execute.

Sobig.F also opens the following ports:
995/udp
996/udp
997/udp
998/udp
999/udp

And, it listens for any incoming UDP datagrams on these ports. Incoming
datagrams are parsed, and upon receiving a datagram with the proper
signature, the master server list of the worm may be updated.

--
Julian Field