W32/Sobig.F virus header

S Mohan smohan at VSNL.COM
Fri Aug 22 03:58:26 IST 2003

Customising the header will help you know whether your server scanned the
message. The message could have passed thro' many mailscanners before
reaching your machine. Trusting others to have virus signatures updated is
resting too much faith on others. By the same coin, you must also force scan
of all messages passing thro' irrespective of header saying it has been
found clean. Better to be safe than sorry, I guess.

Mohan

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Francois Caen
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 8:57 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: W32/Sobig.F virus header

-----Original Message-----
From: John Rudd [mailto:jrudd at UCSC.EDU]

> Frankly, if you're using that as your header, you deserve to get
blocked by random hosts out on the net.
> Customize your headers.

OK, call me stupid, but please give me a valid response.
I never felt a need to customize the "X-MailScanner: Found to be clean"
header. It seems perfectly appropriate to me!

Francois Caen
Network Information Systems Engineer - Webmaster
City of Lakewood, WA
(253) 512-2269

NOTICE:  The Information contained in this transmission is privileged and
confidential. It is intended for the use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended addressee or other
legitimate recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any consideration,
dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If the addressee has received this communication in error, please return it
to the above address by mail and notify this office by telephone.

 City of Lakewood