Sobig afterthoughts

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri Aug 22 00:17:54 IST 2003

Hi,

   I too have noticed that certain remote infected machines pound on
my mail server more than others.  I have my system procmail set up
to drop MailScanner's virus reports into /var/mail/v/virii for me.
What I have been doing every few hours to this file is:

grep "^IP Address:" /var/mail/v/virii | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr -k1 | head -20

which gives me a list of virus-sending IP sites, sorted by number of
times sent.  Then I simply add these sites to my ipfilter list, and
block them at port 25.  This is an emergency measure; I don't plan on
blocking these numbers long-term.  I helps somewhat.

Sobig-f first hit our site about 6 AM EST on Tuesday.  One machine
at MIT hit us more than 900 times in the first 4 hours before I
blocked it out!  Yikes.  Thank god MailScanner works so beautifully,
killing pif attachments even before Sophos and Clam put out IDEs for
Sobig-f.  I'm glad we upgraded our server this summer too.

--- Jeff Earickson
    Colby College