W32/Sobig.F virus header

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Aug 21 23:43:56 IST 2003

>I still don't see the point of adding any such header to outgoing mail,
>other
>than publicity (and the past few days have shown that "there's no such
>thing
>as bad publicity" isn't true).  Why should I trust any message from a
>remote
>site which claims to have been scanned?

Thats not what the header is for, MailScanner always scans the mail
regardless of what the headers say (IIRC it even scans mails it produces
itself, talk about paranoid!).  There is a configuration option to
prevent it adding multiple X-MailScanner headers, but that doesn't stop
it scanning.  The main purpose for the header is so that your users can
use rules in their mail client to filter on them (addmittedly the
X-MailScanner-SpamScore header is the most useful in that respect)

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.