MailScanner Silent Virus list

Stephane Lentz Stephane.Lentz at ANSF.ALCATEL.FR
Thu Aug 21 21:19:57 IST 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:44:09PM -0500, NTIN Page Guy wrote:
> Hello MailScanner,
>
>   Is MailScanner the only scanning solution that offers a silent virus
>   list?

=> No. Other clever products are :
- amavisd-new
- MIMEDefang (providing you add some perl code)

I'm not sure but I seem to remember that Declude - a commercial solution
- supports it too : it's not configured by default but at least the
  feature does exist. I hope people using commercial solutions that
do not offer this are contacting their vendors to get this feature.
Sometimes you pay and don't even get things you can have for free :-)

>   I can't tell you how many emails I'm getting telling me that I have
>   the Sobig.F virus.  A virus which forges its FROM field, I don't
>   have the virus someone with my email address in their address book
>   does.

=> Anybody using some SA rule to trash "virus notifications" coming from
other mailsystems on Internet ? It's a bit dangerous but I heard some
people are doing it to avoid their users (innocent people) to complain
 too much.

---
Stephane Lentz
Alcanet International, Internet Services