mqueue backing up

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 21 20:23:56 IST 2003

At 20:19 21/08/2003, you wrote:
>Every few days I get a backlog of messages in my mqueue.in for 2-3
>hours.  During this time frame, message delivery can be delayed for up to 3
>hours.  This could be related to influxes of mail, but unless a small
>mqueue backlog produces a domino effect similar to the recent power outage,
>it would seem strange that they all last for a few hours.  The mail server
>if a high volume server pushing around 28k messages/day.  Any ideas other
>than a hardware upgrade?

Does anyone feel like starting a collection on the faq-o-matic of tips and
hints for people who need to optimise their server setup a bit please?

There are all sorts of things:
Reduce the maximum batch size down to 30 or 50
If on Linux, then put "-/var/log/maillog" in syslog.conf instead of
"/var/log/maillog"
Put /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming on tmpfs
Don't use reiserfs on Linux, use ext3 as it's more efficient in the way MS
uses it
Set Deliver Disinfected Files = no
Still Deliver Silent Viruses = no

+ anything else anyone can think of.