sobig virus

Wed Aug 20 20:34:37 IST 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 6:02 pm, Matthew Bowman wrote:

> I am getting a lot of these too. My understanding its because the e-mail
> is being sent to a machine that doesn't have MailScanner. Perhaps the
> culprits are port scanning 25 and are emailing the servers directly and
> avoiding the Primary MX (which in our case has mailscanner running)

I've never quite understood why sending mail to a lower-MX-priority server
achieves anything useful for the spammers or virus-senders.

Surely if they send to a secondary MX machine, all that does is to queue it
and relay on to the primary MX, which then does the normal scanning....?

Or am I missing something?

Antony.

--

Anything that improbable is effectively impossible.

 - Murray Gell-Mann, Nobel Prizewinner in Physics