Amazing amount of SPAM getting through

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Wed Aug 20 20:04:30 IST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 19:42, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:

>I've always installed SpamAssassin from CPAN, which seems to work just
>fine with
>MailScanner and means that CPAN gets to keep track of where all Perl
>code goes.
>(Lord knows I'm not up to the task!) This seemed like "best practices"
>to me, was
>I wrong in this conclusion?

Yes, if your distribution uses a package management system such as rpm.
CPAN may attempt to upgrade all sorts of things on your system, which a)
you may not want it to b) will invalidate the contents of your package
management database c) will cause problems later when you want to
install a package that requires a specific version of something CPAN
upgraded.

Installing from the tarfile is safer, quick and easy.  I've tried
installing all three ways in the past and the source route is the only
one that ever worked properly (although I use Mandrake, so the Red-Hat
rpm not working wasn't a great surprise).

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk
+44 (0)20 8566 5000
business.