Amazing amount of SPAM getting through

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Aug 20 19:42:13 IST 2003

I've always installed SpamAssassin from CPAN, which seems to work just fine with
MailScanner and means that CPAN gets to keep track of where all Perl code goes.
(Lord knows I'm not up to the task!) This seemed like "best practices" to me, was
I wrong in this conclusion?

Julian Field wrote:

> Yes. Do not use their RPM. There is fundamentally no way that an RPM of
> Perl modules can know where it should be installed. The only time it can
> know is when the RPM is built. This is precisely why MailScanner's
> install.sh script rebuilds each RPM before installing it.
>
> Download the .tar.gz and install it by hand. I posted yesterday the list of
> commands required to do this. Search yesterday's postings from me for
> "Mail-SpamAssassin-2.55".
>
> At 18:34 20/08/2003, you wrote:
> >any reason not to install their rpm(assuming the one you can download from
> >spamassassin.org)??
> >
> >-rob

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,