update virus scanners

Wed Aug 20 14:16:32 IST 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 12:01 pm, Julian Field wrote:

> At 08:53 20/08/2003, you wrote:
> >Hi!
> >
> >Julian, could you change the update virus scanners script a little, so it
> >reads MailScanner conf to see what scanners are active ?
> >
> >On my box i see for example it updates Clam hourly, i tested with Clam,
> >but are not using it currently, so i dont see why MS should update it.
> >Thats only wasting recources...
> >
> >Would be nice if it simply checks MS config, and updates the ons used by
> >MS, and not the ones it sees installed...
>
> I intentionally wrote it the way I did so that if you decided to add
> another virus scanner that you already had installed, or switch scanners,
> then you didn't have to worry about any delay before fetching the updates
> as the scanners you just started using would already be up to date.

If you don't want the update script to update the virus scanners you're not
using without completely uninstalling them, then simply remove the execute
permission from the executable.

The test "IsItInstalled", which is carried out by the update script to work
out which products to update, checks for an executable file, not just the
existence of the file.

Regards,

Antony.

--