Sobig-F: ouch

John Rudd jrudd at UCSC.EDU
Wed Aug 20 11:48:07 IST 2003

On Wednesday, Aug 20, 2003, at 03:26 US/Pacific, Denis Croombs wrote:

> Hi John
>
> What are you using to produce the stats ?

I wrote some perl scripts that parse through syslog to extract
information and put them into a report file.  Then a second set of perl
scripts formats those reports into web pages.

Unfortunately, the scripts are tightly bound to a bunch of quirks about
our environment (for example, our syslog host keeps its logs on a local
disk, but the web server draws its documents out of AFS, so the scripts
do a lot of talking back and forth between local disk caches and AFS).
So, the scripts aren't exactly ready for public consumption.  I may
re-write them to be a little more general, but that wont happen in the
near future (I'm in the middle of re-architecting our mail servers from
sendmail+qpopper to communigate pro, and that is taking up all of my
time for the next months, maybe 2).

John