Tagging the subject line of e-mail

Collins, Kevin KCollins at NESBITTENGINEERING.COM
Tue Aug 19 18:31:17 IST 2003

Hi!

I've just completed installing MS v4.22-5 onto a Red Hat 8 machine to act as
my company's "SPAM Filter".  First, I want to say THANKS for creating such a
project and for making it available to the masses for free.

A little background:

MailScanner machine:
Red Hat 8.0 (fully up2dated)
Sendmail 8.12.8
Perl 5.8.0
ClamAV 0.60 (compiled from source)
Sendmail set to relay everything to internal Exchange Server

Everything seems to be working fine - I've even let a few e-mails pass
through the machine for testing.  Which is why I'm writing; I now have a
question.

First, of the 20 some odd messages that have passed through MailScanner, it
has tagged 3 as SPAM and one of them as having a Virus (actually it was an
HTML Form in the message).  The "Virus" message behaved as expected - the
e-mail was deleted and not passed on and I got a notification of the
deletion.  But the remaining messages aren't working as I expected them to
(I think).

I've configured MailScanner to modify the subject line of every e-mail it
touches to include {Scanned} at the beginning. (This is to let me - and
everyone else - know that MS is working)  In addition I want all SPAM
messages flagged with {Spam} as the beginning of the subject line and
{Virus} for those that were found to have Viruses.

To this point, all of the e-mail coming in (save the "Virus" message
mentioned above) have only had the word {Scanned} pre-pended to the Subject
Line.  I've not seen the {Spam} label anywhere.  Here are the (I think)
appropriate sections of the MailScanner.conf:

--<snip>--
Scanned Modify Subject = start
Scanned Subject Text = {Scanned}
Virus Modify Subject = yes
Virus Subject Text = {Virus}
Filename Modify Subject = yes
Filename Subject Text = {Filename}
Spam Modify Subject = yes
Spam Subject Text = {Spam}
High Scoring Spam Modify Subject = yes
High Scoring Spam Subject Text = {Spam}
--<snip>--
Spam Checks = yes
Spam List = ORDB-RBL Infinite-Monkeys # MAPS-RBL+ costs money (except
.ac.uk)
Spam Domain List =
Spam Lists To Reach High Score = 5
Spam List Timeout = 10
Max Spam List Timeouts = 7
Is Definitely Not Spam = %rules-dir%/spam.whitelist.rules
Is Definitely Spam = no
--<snip>--

>From this, is my description of how MailScanner should work valid?  Have I
forgot to do something?  What do I need to change/add/delete to make it work
as I describe?

Thanks in advance.

--
Kevin L. Collins, MCSE