Question for multiples recipients and rules

Shane Kelly s.kelly at ayrcoll.ac.uk
Tue Aug 19 13:38:16 IST 2003

Hi Eduardo,

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 1:23 pm, Eduardo Andre wrote:
> My question:
> I install MailScanner+spamassassin  4.22-5 on a Red Hat 9.0.
>
> I set in MailScanner.conf:
>
> Virus Scanning = /etc/MailScanner/rules/virus.scanning.rules
> and
> Is Definitely Not Spam = /etc/MailScanner/rules/spam.whitelist.rules

        That looks correct.

> In the virus.scanning.rules:
>
> To: user1 at domain no
> FromOrTo: default yes
>
> In the spam.whitelist.rules:
>
> FromOrTo:       user1 at domain     yes
> FromOrTo:       default         no

        Also looks correct

> The question:
> When my box recive on email and in the field TO: is  user3 at domain,
> user2 at domain.com user1 at domain, the rule for user1 at domain is aplicated for
> all recipients.

        My understanding of the situation is this (I am sure I will be corrected if I
am wrong :-)  )

        1. An email arrives at your system and it is marked for multiple recipients,
it is still only one message.
        2 Mailscanner grabs the message and applies its rules to it and if it finds a
matching trigger in its rules file, it processes the message (still only one
message) according to that rule.
        3. Mailscanner deposits the processed message in the outgoing queue where the
second half of the MTA (out) delivers the processed message to all the
recipients.

        So you can see that only after MailScanner has processed the message does it
get 'split' for delivery.

        There was some discussion on this list of how to split the message before
MailScanner got hold of it - if you are using sendmail as your mta, it might
be worth looking in the archives.

Hope this helps.

- --
Shane Kelly