Connection Deferrals

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 16:28:32 IST 2003

At 16:16 15/08/2003, you wrote:
>My firewall is reporting some connection deferrals to our MailScanner
>server.
>
>Does increasing "Max Children"  help with the # of connections sendmail will
>allow at one time or does it just process the amount of mail received
>faster.

MailScanner is not involved in the SMTP service in any way at all. As for
whether increasing or decreasing the number to improve MailScanner's speed,
that all depends on your hardware and your mail load. A small machine
should probably be about 2 or possibly 3. A multi-CPU machine with plenty
of RAM should probably have about 5 per CPU. An "average" machine with a
fair amount of RAM working reasonably hard will be okay with 5.

>Currently MailScanner is keeping up with the "volume" that gets received,
>its just the machine is deferring the connections.

You can change the load average at which sendmail starts to refuse
connections. Look for
         QueueLA
and
         RefuseLA