buglet in update_virus_scanners

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at COLBY.EDU
Fri Aug 15 14:26:50 IST 2003

Julian,

Due to my posting yesterday, and Kevin Spicer's reply about
using update_virus_scanners, I discovered a buglet in this
script that is also in 4.23-5.  The lockfile in the script
uses directory "/var/lock".  No such directory in Solaris;
I would suggest changing this to /tmp instead.

The addition of the base pathname for the anti-virus products
in etc/virus.scanners.conf is a big help since I keep mine in
/opt.  You might want to add a comment in MailScanner.conf, eg:

*** MailScanner.conf.orig       Fri Aug 15 09:22:11 2003
--- MailScanner.conf    Fri Aug 15 09:25:16 2003
***************
*** 236,241 ****
--- 236,245 ----
  # space-separated list of virus scanners. For example:
  # Virus Scanners = sophos f-prot mcafee
  #
+ # Note: Make sure that you edit virus.scanners.conf and check that the
+ # base pathnames (third column) of the products you use match their
+ # locations on your system.
+ #
  Virus Scanners = none

  # The maximum length of time the commercial virus scanner is allowed to run

Thanks, Jeff Earickson