MailScanner hanging (by Joseph Watson)

Joseph Watson jtwatson at datakota.com
Fri Aug 15 05:25:26 IST 2003

On Thursday August 14 2003 06:48 pm, Michael Janssen wrote:

> Are all your MS processes hanging?
>
> regards
> Michael

Thanks for the detailed reply, it really helps the learning curve.  I will
investigate more in the morning, and try some of your suggestions.  The
following is what I have tried and observed so far:

It appears that as soon as a process tries to process a batch of messages, it
hangs.  But I have never had problems with MailScanner before and have no
experience trouble shooting it.

Each time I send myself a test message, the logs show it being deferred by
postfix, then MailScanner detects a new batch and the log shows "Scanning 1
messages".  But this is where it stops.  I do not get the normal "Uninfected:
Delivered 1 messages" log entry.

I am using Command AntiVirus and was wondering if a automatic update screw it
up, so I tested it from the command line and it seem to work as normal.

If I stop MailScanner, the MailScanner queue is emptied.  When I restart
MailScanner, the queue fills up to the same size as the incoming postfix
queue and nothing more happens.  As new messages come in, both queue grow the
same amount.

I will try strace and see if I can report something more intelligent.

--
Regards

Joseph Watson